Today I decided to visit a friend of mine who lives a 15-minute drive away. However, instead of driving to his place as usual, I decided to challenge myself and run to his house.
You see, his house is not that close to mine. It’s not a quick walk across the street to Sally Sue’s or a 10-minute bike ride to Billy Bob’s. In fact, according to Google Maps, it was a nice 9.8 kilometres away. I don’t know about you, but I would not want to walk that far just to say hi to one of my buddies.
So what made me decide to run today? Here are some reasons:
- Expired Gym Pass – Denied access to my local recreation centre meant finding other ways to work out! It was either this or these alternatives: crowded outdoor track, scary forest trails, or bumpy neighbourhood roads.
- Half-Marathon Training – Although I haven’t been following a set training schedule for the Half-Marathon I will be enduring in 7 weeks, I decided that any type of long distance run would be beneficial for me.
- 9.8km? Psh! That’s less than the Vancouver Sun Run. – Knowing that I survived the 10km Sun Run enabled me to believe anything less was easy peasy. (Sad, but true.)
- Nice weather – Sunshine with partial clouds, with a hint of breeze is my favourite type of weather to run in.
- Weight loss – Well, of course this is a motivating factor. I can’t be friends with Mr. Flabbykins forever.
- Runner’s High – I’m a bit crazy when it comes to running. Three simple words – I love running.
With all those factors combined, I concluded that it would be a good idea to run that 9.8km!
And I was right! The run went relatively well and I was able to complete 9.8km in 58 minutes. (Yay!!!) However, using the most busy streets to do the run was probably not the best idea. Helpful Note: If you want to inhale fresh air, stay far away from the city. Unless you enjoy smelling fast-food aroma and having gas pumped into your face from exhaust pipes, I advise you to find a park to run at.
The only thing I enjoyed on the run was when I ran past buildings with tinted windows. Every time I saw my reflection, LMFAO’s “Sexy and I Know It” played in my head. (Come on guys, I’m sure you have some creative ways to motivate your work outs too!)